Welcome to our website !

Chijmes

By May 07, 2015 , , , , , , ,

I've always been intrigued by historical buildings and, if you've ever passed by Chijmes in the heart of the city, you know right away that this place has an interesting story to tell. From the outside, there's no mistaking that it's a church. But did you know that it's actually a 19th century Gothic-style chapel designed by a French priest and architect? The chapel was restored in the 1990s and as goes the way of most things nowadays, the site was converted into a commercial complex. I might sound rueful about it but it's actually quite nice! I loved the Gothic arches and the breezy passageways, the picturesque courtyard, and the surrounding restaurants and cafes. In the middle lies Chijmes Hall, the restored chapel with its high ceilings and stained glass windows that came from Belgium when built in the 1800s (no idea whether the stained glass windows I saw were the originals or not!). It's a charming place in which to wander around and enjoy a meal or drinks over the weekend. In my opinion, Chijmes is probably best visited during the daytime when you can see and admire the architectural details of this heritage building.

I was in a particularly flamboyant and colorful dressing mood the day I visited Chijmes. Against the cool white backdrop, my orange top and floral pants definitely pop! My little partner in crime was only too happy to accompany me, playing a game of hide and seek behind the pillars.

Many thanks to Liyana Lim, my patient photographer who managed to capture many precious moments of myself with my son and also my style shoot against this beautiful backdrop. You can check out her photography website at www.snapsnapliyana.tumblr.com.

Blouse: Banana Republic | Pants: Sheinside.com | Shoes: H&M | Cuff: Charles & Keith |
Tassle necklace: Lovisa
Full view of Chijmes Hall from the inside courtyard
Cafes peeking through the Gothic arches
Endless rows of pillars and arches
Don't mind me, I'm just hanging around...
Stained glass windows inside Chijmes Hall
Front facade of Chijmes

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!